Yield: Makes about 1 ½ cups
- 5 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ cup toasted Oregon hazelnuts
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Add the basil, garlic, hazelnuts, Parmesan cheese, and ¼ cup of the olive oil to a blender or food processor. Pulse in 10 to 15 second intervals to chop all ingredients. With the machine on low, slowly pour in the remaining olive oil. Scrape the sides of the container as needed.
Blend for about 20 seconds until all ingredients are finely chopped and a thick pesto results. Stir in the salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl or use in your favorite recipes.